I just received a Campus Appearance Ticket. What is it/What should I do?

A Campus Appearance Ticket (CAT) is a notification to set a meeting with the Office of Student Conduct. Being issued a CAT indicates that you have been charged for a possible violation of the Code of Student Responsibility or a Housing and Residence Life policy. You will receive an email from the Office of Student Conduct that will provide you details regarding scheduling your conduct meeting. Please wait for receipt of that email prior to calling the Office of Student Conduct. 

What happens if I don’t make an appointment or I skip my appointment after receiving a Campus Appearance Ticket?

If you fail to contact the Office of Student Conduct within 3 academic days of receiving your notice from the Office of Student Conduct a hold will be placed on your registration until you schedule your initial meeting. If you miss a scheduled meeting without calling to inform the Office of Student Conduct to reschedule, the case may be heard without you.  It is very important to be present at your initial conduct meeting so you are aware of your rights and responsibilities in terms of student conduct.

What happens at my first meeting?

You will meet with a conduct officer in either the Office of Student Conduct or Housing and Residence Life. Dependent upon the circumstances, the conduct officer may offer a resolution for the case or refer your case to a Judicial Board hearing.  The conduct officer will provide you with an overview of the conduct process, and inform you of your rights and responsibilities as outlined in the Code of Student Responsibility.  You will be presented with information concerning your alleged policy violation. You will then be given the opportunity to convey what happened during the incident. From this information, the conduct officer will determine if there is preponderance of the evidence or “more likely than not” that you are either “responsible” or “not responsible” of the alleged charge(s). If you are found "responsible," the university official will seek offer an informal resolution with appropriate sanctions. Accepting the informal resolution will waive your right to an appeal and you will be required to complete the assigned sanctions by the assigned due date. If you are found “not responsible" during the informal resolution, no sanctions will be applied. For additional information regarding the conduct process please go to…

What if I disagree with the decision?

If you disagree with the decision of your informal hearing, you have the option of not accepting the offered informal resolution. Once you decline this offer it will no longer be available. After declining an informal resolution you will have a formal hearing with a Judicial board or an Administrative board. You will have a formal hearing and the board will determine whether you are responsible or not responsible for the alleged violations. Appeals must be submitted to the Dean of Students Office within 5 days of the Hearing Panels written decision on responsibility. Appeals are limited to:

1.     a violation of due process; or

2.      a material deviation from Substantive and Procedural Standards adopted by the Board of Governors, set forth in Board of Governors’ Policy 700.4.1.

What if I do not complete a sanction by the assigned deadline?

Failure to complete a sanction by the assigned deadline will place a hold on your registration and you will be unable to register for classes until you resolve the issue. Failure to complete a sanction may also result an additional charge of Failure to Comply in certain situations. If you need an extension you may contact the hearing officer for your case or the Office of Student Conduct before your due date. Extensions are only granted for unforeseen circumstances and are at the discretion of the Office of Student Conduct staff. Requests for extensions on sanctions the day before the assigned due date or the day of the assigned due date will not be granted.

I have a registration hold regarding a conduct matter on my record. What should I do?

There are a variety of reasons why the Office of Student Conduct places registration holds on student’s accounts. Commonly occurring reasons include, but are not limited to:

  • a student has failed to contact the Office of Student Conduct to schedule a conduct meeting
  • a student has failed to complete his/her assigned sanction(s) by the deadline
  • a student may be currently suspended or expelled from the University
  • a student may be currently interim suspended from the University

If you have a registration hold regarding a conduct matter, contact the Office of Student Conduct at 704-687-0336 to talk with a conduct officer.

Will I have a record?

If you are found “responsible” for the violation of a UNC Charlotte policy you will have a student conduct record. Your student conduct record will generally contain the applicable incident report(s), meeting and decision letters, and other documents related to student conduct incidents you have been involved in while a UNC Charlotte student. Conduct records are confidential and subject to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. This federal law means only certain University staff, including the Office of Student Conduct and/or Residential Life Office, has access to your student conduct records. You may, however, sign an authorization to release your student conduct records to another person or organization (e.g. parent/guardian or Study Abroad program). Student conduct files are maintained for eight (8) years following the ending date of the last sanction. For cases of suspension or expulsion, the files may be maintained for a longer period of time. The University reserves the right to retain all student conduct files for longer than eight (8) years, as deemed necessary.

Will my parents/family be notified of my charges?

Underage students (less than 21 years of age) found responsible for drug and/or alcohol violations that receive a sanction of conduct probation or higher will result in parental notification from the Office of Student Conduct.