Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances Common Questions and Answers:

Q: What is a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances?

A:  A Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances is for students who are unable to complete their coursework for the current term due to a circumstance that may include, but not be limited to: 

• Death of an Immediate Family Member 
• Medical Emergency for Self or Dependent (an example of a dependent is a child, spouse, parent, etc.)
• Unforeseen Life Altering Events 
• Guard/Reserve Duty

Q: What is the approval process for a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances?

A:  The Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances process is on a rolling basis with requests being reviewed as they are submitted. Decisions are made once the request form is submitted along with supporting documentation and the student has a consultation with the Withdrawal Advisor.

Q:  I am seeking a withdrawal based on a medical reason(s). What kind of medical documentation are you looking for?

A:  Please refer to the Health_Eval. The medical provider must fill this out completely and fax it to the Dean of Students office. At times it may be appropriate for a separate letter of support to be included.

Q: Can I pursue individual course withdrawals verses a full-term withdrawal?

A: Yes. This is a Partial Withdrawal. Please note though, you will need to provide clarification and supporting documentation as to why you are only pursing a course withdrawal verses a full-term withdrawal.

Q: When does the Dean of Students Office need the application and supporting documentation?

A: A Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances request form must be completed by the student and submitted with the proper documentation to the Dean of Students Office before the last day of classes for the semester. The Dean of Students office does not process requests once classes have ended.

Q:  I have submitted a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances request form, do I need to still attend classes?

A:  Students are encouraged to still attend their classes to the best of their abilities if they are still physically able to.  In the event a student's request is denied, their current grade will remain in place.  Students will need to discuss with their medical providers if they are well enough to continue attending until the student's case is reviewed.

Q.  I am in a specialized major, such as nursing.  If I am granted a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances, will I be guaranteed a spot in my program when I return?

A:  An Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances from the Dean of Students Office does not guarantee your spot in your program.  It is up to each individual major / program to decide about readmitting students who have been granted a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances.  It is highly encouraged that you speak to your academic advisor and/or department regarding a withdrawal and any possible implications it may have.  If you are in graduate school, it is also encouraged that you inquire directly with the Graduate School on how a withdrawal may affect your standing.

Q:  If I am approved for a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances who will be notified?

A: Our office notifies the Registrar’s Office who then processes the withdrawal.  We notify all the appropriate parties such as Dining Services, University Housing, your faculty, academic advisor and the Associate Dean of your college of your withdrawal.  We recommend that students follow-up with each of these offices before the withdrawal application and documentation is submitted.

Q: Why is a withdrawal tag placed on my records?

A: The Dean of Students Office places a tag on a student’s records for students who are approved for a full Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances in order to prevent them from returning to school before sufficient documentation is provided indicating that they are well enough to return.

Q:  How do I have the tag lifted off my records?

A:  You will need to petition to return through the Dean of Students Office.  You will first need to contact the Withdrawal Advisor within the Dean of Students Office about your intent to return. You will also need to submit supporting medical documentation from your provider that shows you have been following your treatment plan and that you are cleared to return to school.  Please click here for more information and to find the appropriate forms. If you are approved to return, the tag will be lifted and you will be able to register for classes and/or apply for readmit through the appropriate Admissions Office.

Q: If I am approved for a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances, will it show up on my school records?

A: No.  A “WX” will show on your transcript, which is no different than if you had completed a self-withdrawal.

Q: I was sick last semester and my academics suffered because of it.  Can I apply for a retro-active Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances though the Dean of Students Office?

A: No.  You will need to submit an Academic Petition through your student account which gets routed to the Associate Dean of your college.

Q: My Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances case was denied.  Can I appeal this decision?

A: Yes.  If you are an undergraduate student, click here. If you are a graduate student, please contact the Graduate School.

Q: I am confused as to whether I should pursue a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances at this time. Can I meet with someone in the Dean of Students Office to discuss this?

A: Absolutely!  Please call our main line at (704) 687-0345 to schedule an appointment with our Withdrawal Advisor. We strongly encourage that all students schedule an appointment versus walk-ins due to the high volume of cases.

Q:  Can I request a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances at any point during the term?

A:  Students are strongly encouraged to self-withdraw through their academic advisor and the Registrar's Office prior to the 60% mark. Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances requests are not processed by the Dean of Students office after the last day of classes of the semester.