Please Note: The Dean of Students office only handles current term withdrawal with extenuating circumstances (WE) requests! Students wanting a WE for a previous term must submit an academic petition through their Banner Self Service account.

Below are the steps that a student needs to take to start the process of withdrawing with extenuating circumstances:

  • Discuss your intent with your academic advisor
  • Fill out the request to withdraw form (links below) and see Important_Deadlines
  • Gather and submit supporting documentation to the Office of Student Assistance and Support Services. Click HERE for information on supporting documentation
  • Call 704 687 0289 to schedule a consultation with the Withdrawal Advisor (required for all students requesting a Full WE)

Click HERE to submit a Full Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances (all of your classes) request form

Please note that requests will not be processed until the student meets with the withdrawal advisor and submitted all supporting documentation. Applications are reviewed by the Withdrawal Committee and any determinations will be communicated through email. If approved, the WE will be effective on the date that the request form was received. All students who are approved for a full withdrawal for a term will have a withdrawal tag placed on their registration account. This tag will prevent a student from registering for classes. When the student is ready to re-enroll in classes they will need to petition to re-enroll in classes. Following review of the petition to return and the individual circumstances surrounding the student’s WE (including medical documentation, if relevant), the Withdrawal Committee will determine whether the student may re-enroll in classes, and if so, which term the student may enroll.  All decisions regarding a petition to return are conducted on a case-by-case basis and are based on criteria being met and the time of the semester the student withdraws (pending set deadlines).

Important Information: Please note that once the semester ends (last day of classes) the Dean of Students office will not accept any requests for withdrawal with extenuating circumstances. At that time students will need to submit an Undergraduate Academic Petition online to begin the process.